.:[Double Click To][Close]:.





iNDEPENDENCE DAY?

    It's June 12..

    Here in the Philippines, it signifies the day Aguinaldo fooled all the old folks that the country was free.. tsk tsk.. That fateful day in the year 1898, he declared independence before he even went to battle the Spaniards. Well that's too assuming, don't you think? If you want to know where the hell I got these facts, read old history books - and I do not mean those government-issued ones! They're full of typos and some facts of their own version of Philippine history. Read the real deal if you can take it without dozing off after two paragraphs.. [I forgot the author's name though]

    After the Spaniards, there came the Americans, then the Japanese.. Was June 12 a curse to the Philippines then? And what made the people decide to use June 12 as our independence day?

    All I know is that after the American and Japanese occupation, Philippine Independence was celebrated every July 4 - coincidentally the same day as the American Independence Day [and coincidentally my birthday, too, ahehe]. Then for some twist of fate, the government changed it to June 12, and that, I have no idea why. Hmm.. maybe they favored Aguinaldo's declaration more than the one induced by the American regime.

    Well who cares. The important thing is we have a day we can be proud that we, as one nation, became free [It's a nationalistic-like thingy].

    There's nothing we can do about it. June 12 is June 12 then. As for me, it's a day I need to celebrate with my mother.

    Happy Independence Day everyone.. and Happy Birthday to my mama.. =) [she won't be able to read this by the way, she doesn't even know what Facebook is, ahehe.. oh well who cares..]
    Source URL: http://jameellamellannyes.blogspot.com/2008/06/independence-day.html
    Visit jameella mellanny for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts