.:[Double Click To][Close]:.





FACEBOOK OR FRiENDSTER?









    Multiply, Myspace, Friendster, Facebook.. Socializing websites have become a vital part of the internet-literate's virtual identity. Post pictures, update friends, play games, page customization-- these are only some of the things one can do. In the virtual world of Internet, it becomes your signature -- your personal profile for everyone to see.

    At the boom of Myspace in the US years ago, at the same time Friendster also found its way into the hearts of Filipino netsurfers. Then came Multiply, and then Friendster's greatest rival in the country - Facebook.

    I must admit that when everyone had a Friendster account, I declined to join the bandwagon. It took me a year after that before I finally decided to create one (originally for the sole purpose of finding old friends in high school and elementary years). Now I post pictures like crazy!

    Same situation went for Facebook. When everyone I knew in Friendster made Facebook accounts, I also declined to follow them for the reason that this internet-socializing trend has become an unstoppable in-out fad, and I hate turning myself into a no-choice fad follower.

    A year after Facebook's popularity rise, I was still in Friendster -- updating my homepage, posting pictures, and viewing friends. I then realized that the response activities of my friends in Friendster had suddenly dropped tremendously. Friends started bugging me to switch to Facebook, as everyone I know already had. Damn, I hate being a no-choice fad follower. I was already satisfied with Friendster, but what's so good about it when friends no longer update their profiles or follow your page?

    I had a great leap of ego. Bypassing it sure was hard, especially for some moron like me who sticks so much to such a filthy word like ego! Like I have a choice.

    Now I'm with Facebook. Well actually I was impressed about it. It boosted real-time interaction with friends, especially instant chat. And they have made pages interactive with various games and quizzes. Friendster still dominates on homepage customization, though. I check my Freindster account once in a while. The only reason I always open Facebook is to play MafiaWars, wehehehe..

    FRIENDSTER PROS
    • ability to personalize homepage -- change background, layout style, add music and videos
    FRIENDSTER CONS
    • limited number of pictures that can be uploaded
    FACEBOOK PROS
    • very interactive wallposting page
    • instant chatting with online friends
    • a myriad of games, quizzes, and other interactive applications
    FACEBOOK CONS
    • inability to customize one's own page


    More socializing websites are being created, but only some with be popular enough to rival Facebook or Friendster. And when another site dominates, I just hope I don't have to eat my ego again and be dragged into this neverending fad fair. Friendster and Facebook is enough (cross fingers).

    Source URL: http://jameellamellannyes.blogspot.com/2009/09/facebook-or-friendster.html
    Visit jameella mellanny for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts