.:[Double Click To][Close]:.





iT'S THE "ONCE-iN-4-YEARS" DAY!

    I never realized that it's actually February 29! Seems like any other day to me - ordinary. I don't know if I have to feel something - this day happens only once in four years for a fact. Should I be jubilant then because it's February's rarest number?
    I don't think so. Nothing unusual happened today. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    If February 29 was my birthday, maybe that would change the story.. People born during February 29 think they should celebrate their birthday every 4 years, and they can only add one year of their life everytime. Foolish. Legally, these leapers or leaplings (as what these people are called) have their legal birthdays on March 1 every common year in some countries. Other countrys' laws actually make their legal birthday every February 28.
    I bet almost all know why every 4 years, an additional day is given to the calendar, hence the story of the leap year and the infamous leap day. But why February?
    I tried Wikipedia, and with all the "vernal equinox" shenanigans and "day of the Moon" crap, I found out that the early Gregorian calendar was designed to keep Easter Sunday (which has been consistently celebrated during the months of March) as accurate as possible from a certain phenomena. Thus every 4 years, they need to add another day before the month of March - and voila! February 29 was born.
    In some countries, it has been a tradition that women can propose marriage during leap day, and guys are fined if they refuse! Talking about mass pikot (marriage against man's will)! Greeks, on the other hand, refer to leap year as a bad year for marriage.
    So we learned something today. Still it is no reason to rejoice, but why do I get the feeling that I have to?
    It's leap year. It's February 29. Leap year means Olympic Games. Leap year means current year is divisible by four. Leap year means 366 days rather than 365. What else..
    Well then, I'll just sit around and see if something interesting happens before March arrives. A fair lady's proposal perhaps.. =P
    Source URL: http://jameellamellannyes.blogspot.com/2008/02/it-day.html
    Visit jameella mellanny for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts